As the owner of a marketing agency whose sole focus is to provide outsourced marketing services, how can I even suggest a reason for a company to not take full advantage of them? Because it’s that important.
Of course, there are dozens of reasons to use outsourced marketing services (see our full article on the benefits of outsourced marketing), including the following:
- Helping to ensure your marketing gets done.
- Providing your firm with a fresh, outside perspective.
- Offering the flexibility to heat up or pull back your efforts and expenses as your business needs dictate.
- Gaining more for your money – for the same price, you can have access to the ideas and insights of a team of marketers as opposed to a single employee you may hire.
An outsourced marketing department can work well for your company if you:
- Are clear about your business goals and how marketing can support them.
- Have a budget to dedicate to the efforts.
- Are willing to devote some time to the process as the subject matter expert.
We have devoted a full article to the question "Is an Outsourced Marketing Department Right for Your Company?" if you want to take a deeper dive into the idea.
But we do know there is one reason you should never work with an agency that provides outsourced marketing services:
It’s. Not. Fun.
Fun? Really? This isn’t a baseball game we’re talking about, it’s business, right? Yes, it’s business, and the budgets have to align, the goals need to be clear and the plan has to be agreed on. But it’s also marketing. Marketing is FUN. At least it should be.
Having fun and enjoying each other will help the people involved on your side and on the agency’s side to build and sustain a great working relationship. Now you can’t have fun if the basics of a good relationship are not present.
The chemistry has to be right.
The trust has to be strong.
The values have to be consistent.
The communication has to be honest.
If any one of these qualities is missing, the opportunity for fun will vanish and the engagement will never truly flourish, which is when real business results can be achieved. We have learned this the hard way – engaging a partner or taking on a project where you just don’t enjoy the people you work with will never be productive. You may be able to knock off a good project or two, but sustained success will elude you.
Some signs that you will have fun with your provider of outsourced marketing services:
- You look forward to calls or meetings about your marketing.
- Conversation flows easily.
- You feel like they respect your ideas and listen to your goals for the business.
- There is a high energy to your engagements and good ideas are generated together.
- You get the sense that the agency is truly looking out for your best interests – you trust them.
So when you are thinking about finding a team to deliver outsourced marketing services, remember the fun! If it’s not there, run for the hills.